Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) has helped Pennsylvania families since 1974. WIC helps pregnant women, mothers and caregivers of infants and young children learn about good nutrition to keep themselves and their families healthy. It provides nutrition services, breastfeeding support, health care and social service referrals and healthy foods to eligible participants.
WIC is an equal opportunity provider. Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.
- WIC decreases the incidence of iron deficiency anemia in children.
- WIC reduces fetal deaths and infant mortality.
- WIC reduces low birth weight rates and increases the duration of pregnancy.
- WIC improves the growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children.
- WIC improves the dietary intake of pregnant and postpartum women and promotes proper weight gain in pregnant women.
- Pregnant women with prior WIC participation receive prenatal care earlier.
- Children enrolled in WIC are more likely to have a regular source of medical care and have more up to date immunizations.
- Children who receive WIC benefits demonstrate improved intellectual development.
- WIC significantly improves children's eating behaviors and parental feeding practices.
Who is Eligible for WIC?
Women who are pregnant or had a baby in the past six months or twelve months if breastfeeding; infants and children under age five; and fathers, grandparents and foster parents, who are the legal guardian of a child under age five, may apply for WIC on their behalf.
WIC applicants must reside in Pennsylvania, have a medical or nutritional risk, and have a gross household income that does not exceed 185 percent of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines.
How do I Apply?
To apply call your local WIC agency or call 1-800-942-9467 to be connected to a WIC office. Staff will answer your questions and schedule your appointment. WIC does not have an on-line application. Click here for the list of items needed for your appointment at the WIC office.
Selling or trading WIC foods is illegal!
If you suspect someone of abusing the WIC program, please call the WIC Hotline 1-800-WIC-WINS (942-9467).